"I really miss this."
Sigh. The words I had very much been longing to hear...
"Why can't we go back?" you crumple atop me. I move out from under you.
"Stop saying that."
"Why?" you move to embrace me. The alcohol on your breath races towards me.
I scoot further away.
"It's dead now." I close my eyes.
Silence.
"But I miss you."
Maybe a few months ago those same words would have changed everything. Maybe the way we are now would not be if you had said those words when they were due-- when I wanted, needed to hear them. Timing was always off with us and it will never be on track, I suppose. You say it louder as though I had not heard. But I did. I used to dangle on every word you said, and these? They would have been the catalyst of a massive resolution. They would have lifted a burden on my shoulders and filled an emptiness in my soul. But now...? They change nothing.
You sit there. I can feel your gaze upon me still. For assurance, I crack my eyes open. You are staring at my hand that is centimeters away from yours. I pull it up and tuck it underneath my cheek.
I don't feel regretful or nostalgic or hopeful. You annihilated all hope that night...and every night after. And I don't miss you. Not anymore.
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment