Sunday, January 6, 2008

this is a city for not sleeping, and the clocks are set by feel

My home friends are just those kind of people... The ones that you can be laughing hysterically with until your sides hurt one moment and then having a deep and amazing conversation about abstract (or concrete) ideas and issues the next. I feel like my time with them is beneficial; like I’m bettering myself just by being around them. With them, not only do I have a great and exceedingly fun time, but I learn… and I grow.

I hung out with Sergio and Chris today. We ate at Roscoe's and then ventured over to Laemmle's to watch "The Savages", which I found to be a surprisingly good piece. And though I hadn’t seen either of them in many, many months I felt like nothing had changed. It wasn’t awkward and there were none of those uncomfortable silences some friends have after extended periods of being away from each other. We were laughing and joking about the same people and things and it felt good. Just the same, I hung out with Paz and Brandon a few weeks ago and I also still feel so at home with those guys. OK, so maybe my friends HAVE changed; maybe we’ve ALL changed… but our attitudes, perceptions, and relationships of and with one another have not and that’s what gives me comfort on days when I feel like the world is just caving in on me.

I find comfort in knowing that whenever I feel like I’ve lost it all, I can always pick up the phone, call my friends, and come back home.

Knowing this, I feel like I can endure anything. And this… this gives me strength I thought I could no longer possess; a courage of sorts that gets me through the day and ready to face the next…

I am one lucky girl.

No comments: